Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Cookie is done!

SHE HAS ARRIVED!!



Alizah Katherine Cook 
came into this big new world,
April 21st, 
 at 5:08pm

Weighing 5lbs, 14oz., and measuring 17 1/4 inches long, 
she was delivered perfect and whole,

and we have not stopped rejoicing!


On the 20th, Becca had her last scheduled OB appointment at 2:30pm, while I was at work. I was so anxious ALL DAY. More than usual, as I had been super anxious since the fist sign of labor almost 3 weeks prior. After Becca told me on my break how the midwife had again swept her membranes (and thoroughly too), and was told that should she experience any more contractions, that we should pack up and head in.
  
I'm convinced she went into early labor 
around 3pm.

 By my 7pm break at work, Becca was in enough discomfort, and I in enough concern, that I came home. 

Something was different about this time, and I knew my beloved needed me.

About 5 hours later, Becca and I were ready to take the plunge. With Family in NC on standby to come at our word, and family in Utah on standby to hear any progress, we made our call to the midwife and drove to the hospital.

We arrived at 12am. 



We were in the triage area for all of about 10 minutes. The midwife came in before any nurse saw us, did a quick exam and ANOTHER membrane sweep (my poor wife!), and had us transferred to the labor and delivery room. Becca was hooked up to the fetal monitor and the wait began 


...at 5cm and 90% effacement.

We waited out the night until family from NC arrived around 5:30am. Soon after, I ran home to check on our pup as she had spent the night home alone for her first time, and we were concerned how she might be holding up.

After I returned they decided to start Becca on Petocin to help the labor speed up a bit. About 4 hours later she started really feeling the contractions. I did another doggie run when Becca's mom called me back, Becca needed me there because of the pain she was feeling. I raced back as quickly (and as legally) as I could manage. 

Checking in on the dog during all this had me torn in my heart; I wanted to be by my wife's side every moment, but from the get-go, I decided to put her feelings first, and making sure the puppy was ok while we were away brought her peace of mind and comfort. 

Looking at it that way made it a lot easier, thank God I was given the grace to maintain that mindset.

After a few hours of severe pain from the intensified contractions, Becca was ready to get an epidural. We had planned on this being a part of the labor, but what happened afterward was the furthest thing from what we expected.


Not long after the anesthesiologist administered the IV, Becca began to feel her right arm and the right side of her chest go numb. Before the nurse could figure out what exactly was happening, the numbing spread up her neck and face.

She literally was being paralyzed.

Watching her and hearing her try to explain what was happening, I could see her struggling to think and speak clearly. 

I freaked. 

My heart went instantly through a million scenarios, trying to reason the fear, which, my heart was quickly becoming consumed with, away. 

The nurse put Becca on oxygen, and seeing that did NOT help. Moments later, two anesthesiologists and came in with the nurse, and at least 3 others had come to the ready at the door only moments after. They quickly assessed Becca's condition, then turned off the epidural pump. They explained that what had happened was a combination of a dose that was too high, and Becca's natural nervous system block which was stronger on her left side than her right. The dosage prescribed is based off one's height, but sometimes, the epidural gap between the vertebra is shallower than "normal". By letting the epidural wear off and starting it again on the lower dosage, she should be fine.

We are still thanking God for such excellent staff at the hospital.
I don't dare to consider what could have happened.


Finally, Becca had some peace. She was able to enjoy  the rest of laboring until the time arrived.

At the epidural, the midwife checked Becca to find she had only dilated another centimeter. Now we were at 6, after all night and morning. However, after a handful of afternoon hours passed by, Becca was checked again, and was at 9! By 3pm, she was told she was ready to push!

The midwife and nurse on duty were amazing. They helped us both to get the job done right. I held a leg for Becca (though perhaps not as expertly as the nurse holding the other leg...) while managing to take some pictures and video of the experience. My wife was incredible. I have never been more proud of her, seriously. And watching her deliver my sweet angel of a daughter into this world was unlike anything I have ever experienced;

It was the most beautiful, amazing, glorifying thing I have ever witnessed.

After Alizah's head cleared the birth canal, the rest of her came quickly after. So quick, in fact, that I nearly jumped! All that pushing and slow but sure progression... trying to get an idea of how big she was and what she looked like as she came nearer and nearer... and then, there she was! And much bigger than I was guessing too (even though she is just a petite little thing). Then it was all a flood of emotion.

I wanted to sob and dance and laugh and shout, all at once...


I was more awestruck than I ever have been at this beautiful little life than was a part of me and a part of my life now.

Alizah was placed on Becca's chest, and it was love. We both just melted at her cry and her perfect little self. Eyes open and seeing mommy and daddy for the first time, sweet little cries and beautiful little hands and feet... and what a gorgeous kid! I am sure that I'm being byist, but I have never seen a more beautiful baby! 

I count myself so so blessed for this little one.

The nurse took Alizah after cleaning her up and giving her some Mommy/Daddy moments, and began teaching me how to handle her, clean her, etc. She had her little feet stamped and her hospital bands put on. Then we took her back and Mommy fed her for the first time, and she took to Becca immediately. After a meal, we weighed her and measured her; 5lbs, 14oz. and 17.25 in. long, and totally perfect!!

Then it was time for Daddy and Baby to go to the nursery. I pushed her downin her cart, and parked her next to another baby, right in one of the windows. As we did the PK test, reaction tests, etc., several spectators showed up in the window, including a few total strangers. Alizah was too sweet to ignore!. One of her tests was to be placed on her tummy, and she started trying to crawl! She may be little, but she's strong (just like her Momma)!!


I also had the privilege of getting a tutorial with the baby next to Alizah for her first bath, so I gave her her very first bath all on my own.



My first real experience of being totally responsible for my little girls well being. 

I was amazed how calm I was with the whole thing, with all of it. I wasn't afraid at all, or anxious even. In fact, Becca and I both had an enormous amount of peace all through the whole labor and delivery. 

God was truly with us. 





About 9pm I finally made it to our postpartum room, and we said our good-nights to family by 10:30. Just as we were about to settle in, we got a surprise visit from a good friend, so we visited a bit more until around 11:30. Finally, we were able to call it a night, our first night together as a family. We were too exhausted to hardly even talk. 

After a bit of a rough night, we shared breakfast and managed to share our hearts and experiences between all manner of nurses, housekeeping staff, and photographers. It was a bit overwhelming to have someone popping in and out of our room at no less than half hour intervals all day, so by the time we were discharged, we were very ready.

I spent the night before discharge at home, as our family had returned to NC earlier that afternoon, and as preparation for Becca's first night home, hopefully to one more restful than the several prior nights.


Early the next morning I came back to hospital to find my sweet girls ready and waiting. We shared breakfast and prepared to take baby Alizah home! The discharge process was a bit long, due to lots happening the postpartum wing, but we finally made our way out by 1:45pm or so. Driving home with Becca and Alizah in the back seat was so surreal...




The surreality has yet to wear off... all I know is that I am more happy than I have ever been. Ever


So now we are home sweet home, a beautiful new family, making our new way in the world. Full of joy and praise to our Jesus for ALL He has given us, we carry on with hearts and heads held high. 

Here's to the wonderful new adventure parenthood is certain to be...

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you both! Alizah is such a wonderful jewel!

    I enjoyed reading and remember the excitement and process as we walked through it..So glad for God's protection and grace throughout!

    ReplyDelete